Sunday 29 July 2012

FINDING HOME                                                                   
                                              
                                     
Friday night was one of those night where sleep would not come.  After reading for a while I turned off the light and found myself trying to find that comfort spot, that place where I could let me body go and drift off into dream land.  That didn't happen.  An hour and a half later I dragged my body and my pillow down to the couch where the tossing and turning continued throughout the night.  I was wide awake at 6:30 and by ten to seven decided to get up and have a shower.  The hot water felt so good as it ran down by body.  I love the feel of that heat and hearing myself making guttural sounds of pleasure as it soothes my body and my soul.    

I got dressed and took Lukka (she's our dog) down to the beach for a walk.  She really isn't allowed there after June 15th but we occasionally sneak down there in the early morning.  I found myself standing at the edge of the sand, feeling the warmth of the sun on my body and such joy in my heart.   As an eagle flew overhead  I held up my hand and said "Good Morning Brother".    I never worry about whether someone is looking at me or listening to me talk to the eagles or any of the other creatures that grace my world.   I felt such gratitude at that moment, speaking to the creator about how grateful I am to call this island home, to be able to stand at the edge of the ocean or in the forest surrounded by cedars and fir or to feel the skin of the Arbutus after she has shed her outer layers.    I am grateful to feel home.  I have left this island numerous times for long periods, you know more than a weekend; longer than a week or two.   Every time I am returning home I feel such an overwhelming sense of joy: there's my home, my island and as much as I may have loved where I was, I am so elated to be coming home.  

I found this place in 1995 when I did a road trip across Canada with some friends.  I had been living in Toronto at the time and was excited that we were going to the coast.  I had been out west several times before and always felt so at peace when I was here, especially near the water.  When we were planning our trip we had been looking through my hosteling book and found a place on an island off the coast from Vancouver where you could sleep in a teepee.  We all decided right there and then that we were going to this place called Salt Spring just so we could sleep in a teepee and stay on an island.   

We arrived here late at night and couldn't really see much of anything.  Over the next five days we saw all the touristy sights, picked blackberries, made blackberry pancakes for breakfast complete with blackberry sauce and joined the others at the hostel late at night around the campfire.   With each day I felt more and more like I was home.  I felt like I could be me,  feel comfortable in my own skin, that I was someone with value.  I found myself more extroverted than I usually was, talking to complete strangers,  taking a group of people down to the ocean to watch the full moon rise not really knowing the path I was leading them on, not really knowing these people.  It didn't seem to matter because I felt different inside about me, about life and it was all good.  


My friends decided to go to Vancouver for the weekend.  Not me; I didn't want to go to the city.  I wanted to stay on this island.  I found lots to do myself, including going to the market, hanging out with other hostellers, even going for a job interview in Nanaimo, a place I immediately knew was not for me.   I met my friends at the ferry terminal in T'sawwassen and told them I was moving to Salt Spring.  They initially laughed at this statement but after a while realized I wasn't joking.  

I did move here, six months later, driving from Toronto in February, a really crazy time to do such a trip.   I had car problems, drove through snowstorms, slept in places where I felt this creepiness seep into my body and cried all the way down the mountain into Hope.  I slept in my car at the ferry terminal and arrived on Salt Spring to face snow.  This couldn't be right.  I had left the snow and  cold behind and thought I was coming to rain and clouds and early spring, not snow.    

I have never regretted this move even though the emotional costs were high.  I was leaving everyone in my life behind, going to a place where I really only knew the people who operated the hostel, and had no idea whether I could find a job or not.  


It has been a little over 12 1/2 years since I moved here and I would still fervently say this is home.  It's not a building or a particular piece of land or place; it's all of this island.  Sure I have favourite places and I love that the beach is just around the corner from where I live but there is so much here that I love.  I love the people who seem to be there for others when things are tough or tragedy has struck or someone just needs a little something to get by.   


I love walking down the streets and saying hello to all those I know and even those I don't know because it's okay to talk to strangers here, in fact it is encouraged to share a little love from our hearts to all.   I love the markets and the wonderful organic food I can buy from people I know, people who live here,  who care about the land and sustainability and buying local.    I have shared this home with my son and shown visitors the wonders of this place.  Now I share it with my beloved and it is so good to know that she shares the same love for this place as I do.   

Sometimes I think about other places to live, far away places, other islands, but for now this is home for me, my beautiful island home and for this I am grateful.  





What about you:  where is home for you,  is it a house, a building or  a place?    How did you find it or did it find you?   



4 comments:

  1. As always you amaze me with your writing, so beautiful and eloquent. I too am so grateful to live on this wonderful and magical island, it truely has the ability to heal your soul.

    Thank you Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. We came June 1, 1999. So almost the same time as you. I didn't know that. We feel so fortunate that Salt Spring found us as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the retreat yesterday I remembered that your recent blog was about home and I hadn't read it yet. SO here I am and it is so lovely, the writing, the details, the truths. You share so honestly and take me right there with you, Sam. Through the highs and lows.
    It is so good to be walking alongside you here. Amazing that we connected through writing when you first moved here. And now here we are again. I came to Salt Spring on August 1, 1999. A little before you Sam and a little after Charlene. What a blessing that we were all drawn here! SO good to be home.

    ReplyDelete